Valentine's Day sort of calls for chocolate. Duh. But if you're like me, you don't want those boxes of chocolates lying around tempting you all week. This divine little treat is just the perfect size for two--you and your honey. Pure sweet and salty indulgence that's just right for a special day.
Inside these personal chocolate cakes, you'll find a creamy center of melted caramel. They're topped with a sprinkle of sea salt for that oh-so-sinful sweet-and-salty combination. (If you haven't tried salted chocolate yet, trust me, you should.) I like mine topped with a dollop of my favorite ice cream: Haagen Dazs coffee flavor. As if it couldn't get any more perfect, the ice cream will melt as you dig into the warm chocolate cake. Mmm.
Did I mention that these cakes are ready in less than 5 minutes? Oh yeah. Whip up the ingredients and pop them in the microwave. An extra special dessert in no time.
It's not quite too good to be true. They're not exactly fitting of the healthy food mantra. But everything has its place in a healthy meal plan and everybody needs a sweet treat every now and then. If you ask me, Valentine's Day is the perfect time to enjoy it. Walk by the aisle full of boxed chocolates and enjoy the perfect, couple-sized treat this Valentine's Day.
Chocolate and Caramel Mug Cakes with Sea Salt
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground sea salt, reserve a sprinkle for the top
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 caramels, cut in half
- In a small bowl stir together dry ingredients; all but a sprinkle of the sea salt.
- In another small bowl, stir together liquid ingredients.
- Pour liquids into dry ingredients and stir to combine; some lumps are okay.
- Pour batter into one or two mugs. Drop caramels into the center.
- Microwave on high for one minute and 30 seconds (it will be a little gooey in the center; microwave up to 30 seconds more to cook throughout). Sprinkle remaining sea salt on top.
- Serve warm with a spoonful of ice cream.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Calories 364 | Total Fat 12g | Saturated Fat 3g | Cholesterol 94mg | Sodium 455mg | Carb 60g | Fiber 4g | Sugar 39g | Protein 9g.
Download the recipe here.
Recipe adapted from Babble.